Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Birthday Parties

Sunday was the family birthday party for the girls.  Both the grandparents, as well as my brother and a friend, came to celebrate with the girls.  We let the girls decide what they want for their birthday meals, and because Bentley doesn’t quite understand what that means, Bria did most of the choosing.  We had a wonderful meal of hot dogs and macaroni and cheese (from a box).  I decided to also make hamburgers, rainbow jello (I knew Bria would ask where it was if I didn’t), watermelon, and refrigerator pickles.
The theme of the girls’ party was rainbows, that is what they kept mentioning in the days before their birthdays.  It took me a while to decide how to make two different rainbow cakes.  Last year after I had decorated Bentley’s cake with rainbow striped frosting, I was sent a recipe for a rainbow cake that I should try.  At the last minute I did decide to try it.  It was a big success, the girls loved it and everyone else thought it was cool.
SAM_3621
SAM_3620
These pictures don’t do justice to the cake. 
The other rainbow “cake” was made from cupcakes decorated like a rainbow.
SAM_3515
Because the rainbow of this cake was visible the girls both wanted this one as their own.  We put candles on both sides for the girls to each blow out their own.
SAM_3615
So excited for the cake.  They ended up eating the other cake once they realized there was a rainbow inside.
The girls also had fun opening their presents.  It is amazing how excited they are about a ream of paper, scissors, stickers, etc.  They both like the clothes they received too, but I haven’t had time to have them try the clothes on.  Bria has worn her new tennis shoes and loves them.  Bria also wore her new necklace for her school pictures.
Thanks to everyone who made the girls’ birthdays a special time.

No comments: