Monday, October 29, 2012

Last Weekend…Majorly Sick

I am not sure what made us so busy the week prior, but I was too busy to get the last post written and posted.  Bria was still fighting a bit of a cold the rest of the week, but it seemed to be better about mid-week.  Then on Friday, she came home from school and said that she wished she hadn’t gone to school that day.  That is not normal for her.  She loves school.  When I asked her why, she said she hadn’t been feeling well, but once she was home she said she was feeling better.
She and Bentley played outside for a while after school.  When they came in, I was helping Bentley with something and Bria laid on the couch with her eyes closed, curled up in a little ball.  I knew at that moment that she was really sick.  She wanted me to sit with her for a while.  As I was sitting with her, I reached over to see if she had a fever.  Her forehead felt like it was on fire.  When I took her temperature it was over 106 degrees.  That is scary.
We tried medication, cold washcloths, a lukewarm bath, and sleep, but couldn’t get the fever down.  By 3 am, her fever still hadn’t come down.  I couldn’t get back to sleep.  So at 4 am, I put some things together, got Bria out of bed, and we headed to the ER (an hour drive).  The ER is not in a big town, so we got in right away, saw the doctor pretty quickly, and started ruling out some possibilities.  Unfortunately, they couldn’t find anything at the time, but said to watch for pneumonia.
Bria and I came back home.  By early afternoon, I made Bria go to bed, she had only dosed off once since about 4:30 am.  After her nap, where she put on a blanket, her fever spiked over 107 degrees.  This causes panic in parents due to all the risks of a high fever.  I quickly got her more medication and another bath.  David called the PA in town and we rushed right into the clinic, which isn’t open on Saturday.  The PA took one look at her tonsils and knew it was tonsillitis (they were largely inflamed).  We got her some antibiotics.
We spent three more days just sitting and resting on the couch.  When I say we, I mean both Bria and I, because she wouldn’t let me leave her side.  The only time I could get anything done was if she was sleeping.  She only sleeps if she is in a bed in a separate room.  By Tuesday, I had to recruit some extra help.
David’s parents happened to be available for a few days, so they came out.  Just the arrival of the grandparents made Bria perk right up.  By Thursday she was back at school, although she had some side effects from her antibiotics.  Now she is back to her normal self.

No comments: