Monday, June 6, 2011

Not What We Were Expecting

It has been a long time since I have updated the blog. For a few weeks there was nothing exciting to say, but I thought after Memorial Day I would have something new to add. There are new stories and pictures, however, it was not what we would have expected.


Our plans were to spend our four-day weekend with David's sister in nothern MN. David's parents were going to be there, the girls could play with their cousins, and the adults could spend some time catching up. We arrived late Friday afternoon (before Memorial Day) and the kids started playing right away. I, however, was feeling sore. The long car ride made me assume that the aches and pains were just from sitting for so long. By Saturday afternoon we knew it was something more. I was shaking uncontrollably and my temperature rose to well over 104 degrees (that is really high for an adult). David's dad took us in to the ER were we spent several hours getting my fever down. After the blood and urine tests, they decided it was something viral that I could manage with Tylenol and Motrin. We went back to David's sister's and got a little sleep. I thought I was feeling better Sunday morning, but I was wrong. I was up for only a few minutes when I passed out, so it was off to the ER, again.


They ran some more tests and decided that due to my low blood pressure, high temperature, and elevated white blood count that I needed to be admitted to the ICU. That is where I spent the next couple of days with a kidney stone, a kidney infection, and a blood infection (this is very serious). (That meant the girls had several extra days to play with their cousins.) My blood pressure finally stabilized, and my temperature was running lower, so they put in a semi-permanent IV (PICC line) and let me go to David's sister's. We stayed that night, Wednesday, and I went in for my first antibiotic infusion then we traveled home. Of course, there were other complications: I couldn't get my infusions in any of the three closest clinics or hospitals to our home for a variety of reasons. Finally we decided that it would be best to stay at my parents', where grandma could watch the girls and they have a clinic and hospital. We met my mom along the interstate on our way home and headed to their house while David continued on home.


David came to spend the weekend with us, and my infusions have been going well. Today is the first day I don't feel completely exhausted. I am definitely recovering, but still have to be careful not to overdo it. With all of the help from both David's and my family everything has worked out quite well. I have definitely seen God's hand at work in the whole situation. He lined up the people and places to make sure I was getting the care I needed. He also gave me an extremely loving husband who was with me the whole time (especially in the hospital). Also, all the prayers have been a blessing throughout this experience.


After all of this I don't have any pictures that I can post of the girls with their cousins. We did take a few on David's cell phone that I may be able to put up later. I am trying to take a few more while we are with grandpa and grandma, so I should have some next time I update the blog.

No comments: